Do you dread going on first dates? Are you afraid of asking questions that will make you look stupid? Or maybe you just hate talking about yourself.
There’s nothing worse than having a bad date. But if you’re not prepared, you might end up with a terrible first date.
In this article, I’ll share first date topics of conversation that will help you get past awkward silences and make sure you have a great first date.
I’ve included examples of how to ask these questions and also provided tips on how to answer them. This way you’ll be able to impress your date and have a fun night out.
First Date Topics of Conversation
Whether you’re going on a first date or just meeting someone new for coffee, it’s always fun to talk about yourself. However, if you’re nervous about talking about yourself, then you might feel awkward during the conversation.
Fortunately, there are plenty of topics that you can discuss without feeling self-conscious.
- What is your favorite activity?
- Where are you planning to travel next?
- Which of your childhood memories is your favorite?
- Do you have any pets?
- When did you move to your current city?
- What are your hobbies?
- What are you passionate about?
- Is there a dream job you’d like to have?
- What do you enjoy most about being single?
- What is something you wish you had known earlier?
- In the next year, what is one goal you would like to accomplish?
- Is there a talent you have that you keep a secret?
- How would you describe your biggest regret?
- What is a proud accomplishment of yours?
- Do you have a favorite quote?
- How would you describe yourself in three adjectives?
First Date Questions about Work
It’s always fun to talk about work, especially if you’re interested in someone else.
But if you’re going on a first date, you might want to steer clear of talking too much about your job. It could come off as bragging or sounding uninterested. Instead, focus on topics that relate to each other’s hobbies, interests, passions, etc.
- Would you have done anything if success was guaranteed?
- Do you look forward to your job every morning?
- Have you ever considered changing careers?
- Can you name someone you enjoy working with the most?
- What number of times in a day that you curse yourself for choosing this career?
- What is the importance of your career and job in your life?
- Does working from home appeal to you, or are you a cubicle person?
- If you had to earn your living from home, what would it be?
- Why did you choose your profession?
- Do you sometimes feel stressed at work?
- What is your idea of the perfect workday?
- What are rest and off days in your life like?
- Do you work weekends?
- Does your boss often make you want to shoot him in the head?
- Do you have a difficult boss?
- Is this the career you’ve always wanted?
- Did you always work in this field, or did you change careers?
- What would you do if you were given the opportunity to be anybody for a day?
- Do you have a coworker that you adore?
First Date Questions about Family
There are many questions that you ask each other during their first dates, including questions about family. It’s important to remember that these topics aren’t just limited to first dates; they can also apply to any type of relationship.
- What about your family? Do they live nearby?
- Which family members are closest to you?
- Which family members do you trust the most?
- Can you recall any special family vacation memories?
- Are your relationships with your siblings good?
- Are your parents from the same area as you?
- Where does your family hail from?
- Do you have big family gatherings and traditions?
- Do either of your parents really inspire you?
- Which member of your family has the best personality?
- How often do you see all your family members?
- Describe your first memory of your parents.
- When you were growing up, who was there for you through thick and thin?
- How do your parents feel about your profession?
- When and how did your parents meet?
- Do you have a favorite family tradition?
- Do you have a large family?
- Which family member do you most resemble?
- If you were arrested or in trouble, who would you call from your family?
- Are you close with your parents?
- What was your favorite thing about your childhood home?
First Date Questions about Personality
You might also be interested in knowing a few more things about their personality besides what they do outside the house.
Using these questions, you can learn about their social media habits or personal routines.
- Enjoy taking evening strolls?
- When did you move to this city?
- Do you listen to podcasts frequently?
- Do you treat yourself every now and then?
- Do you have a favorite season?
- Are you interested in technology?
- Do you cook regularly?
- What did you like best about this date?
- Do you enjoy sharing your food with others?
- Do you prefer the beach or mountains?
- Are you a fan of spending time outdoors often?
- Are there any foods you love to eat on a daily basis?
- Are you a person who likes to read about a place before going there, or do you prefer to walk in straight away?
- Which is the worst job you have ever had?
- Do you enjoy making things yourself?
- When you have guests, do you clean your house, or is it always clean?
- How do you spend your weekends?
- Which tourist destination has always been on your bucket list?
- How often do you and your best friend get together?
- Are you a routine person?
- What are your hobbies?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- Are you religious?
- What would you change about yourself?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s something you love doing?
- What’s one thing you hate?
Dating Questions about Values
While most people would agree that asking someone about their values is a pretty awkward topic to bring up during a first date, it’s actually a very important conversation to have.
It helps you understand each other better and gives you insight into where you both stand.
It’s best to ask these questions after you’ve had a chance to get to know each other over dinner or drinks. Once you’ve gotten to know each other, you’ll be able to determine whether you share similar values and interests.
- Are there any special places that make you happy?
- How much do you believe in planning ahead or going with the flow?
- How would you prioritize career, family, money, friends?
- Would you make your bed after waking up?
- What is your philosophy regarding tipping?
- Are there any relationship deal breakers?
- In what one way does your mom never fail to brag about you?
- Are you a believer in Karma?
- What always makes you laugh?
- Is there something you can talk about for hours on end?
- Are you working on a side hustle?
- What would life be like if you could wave a magic wand and get everything you ever wanted?
- Is there anyone who inspires you?
- Why is your best friend the best friend of all time?
- Are there any bad habits you have?
- Are you a believer in the universe?
- What would you do with all the money the world has to offer if you had it?
- Why is the one thing you are most passionate about your life?
- Are you interested in politics?
- What are your thoughts on religion?
- What are your views on marriage?
- What are your feelings on money?
- What are your opinions on education?
- What are your beliefs about life?
- What are your philosophies?
- What are your morals?
First Date Questions about Passion & Hobbies
Passion and hobbies are two topics that can easily spark conversation during a first date. These questions can help you learn more about your date and give you insight into his or her personality.
Ask open-ended questions about passions and hobbies to get him or her talking. For example, if he loves sports, ask about favorite teams or players. Or if she enjoys cooking, ask about her favorite recipes.
It’s also possible to ask about hobbies that aren’t necessarily related to passion. For instance, if you love hiking, ask about where he or she goes on vacation. This question will allow you to learn more about the person while still keeping the conversation going.
Ask these questions, and you will learn about their passions in no time. See if you can catch that twinkle in their eyes!
- What are some things you have been doing for the longest time?
- Have you picked up a new hobby recently?
- In your opinion, what have you contributed most to this world?
- What is your spirit animal?
- Where did you go on your last trip?
- What is the importance of your hobbies to you?
- Can you teach me any special skills?
- Do you go to the gym often?
- What trips are you planning for the near future?
- Do you like pop culture?
- Are you active on social media?
- Are you able to find time to pursue your hobbies and passions?
- Did you do anything fun last weekend?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- What are you currently doing that you are really passionate about?
- What about tattoos?
- Do you have a hobby that no one can beat you at?
- Where do you want to go next on your journey?
- Why do you think you were put on this planet
- Can you think of something you’d really like to do if you had time on your hands?
First Date Questions about Relationship
It is a good thing if you have similar thoughts on other aspects. Nonetheless, if you don’t think alike about relationships, you’re wasting your time.
Before you start something serious, it’s best to clarify their expectations. Find out how they view relationships by asking these questions.
- What would make dating you the most enjoyable experience?
- When you feel anxious or lonely, what do you do?
- Is there anything a potential partner must not have?
- Are you on any dating apps?
- Are there any specific characteristics you hope to gain?
- In a relationship, how important is personal space to you?
- How would you describe your ideal partner?
- What is more important to you, money or fame?
- Is there anything that you find romantic?
- Have you ever been in a toxic relationship?
- Do you want a serious relationship or something casual?
- If you were looking for a partner, what would you look for?
- Describe the characteristics of an ideal relationship.
- Describe the shortest relationship you had.
- What is your dating experience like?
- How would you describe the best relationship advice you have received?
- How long did your longest relationship last?
- If you were in a romantic relationship, how would you describe yourself?
- What qualities would you look for in a partner?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What’s the best thing about being single?
- What’s something you wish you could change about yourself?
- What’s one thing you would never change about yourself?
These are just a few examples of first date conversation starters. The key is to choose ones that interest you and that you feel comfortable asking.
When you’re ready to talk about these topics, try to avoid asking too much personal information. Instead, focus on finding out more about the other person.
The goal is to learn more about each other while still maintaining some level of privacy. It’ll help you build rapport and create a comfortable environment for the two of you to connect.
Dating Questions about Future plans
While most people would agree that asking someone about future plans is a little too personal, it’s still a topic worth discussing. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about someone and gauge whether or not you’d enjoy spending time with them.
It’s also a good idea to ask questions about where they see themselves in five years. While it might seem like a bit of a cliché, it’s actually a really insightful question.
People tend to change over time, and if you’re interested in someone, you’ll want to know what kind of person they plan to be in the future.
To avoid sounding creepy, try to steer clear of questions about money. Instead, focus on topics like travel, hobbies, or career goals. These types of questions are less likely to offend anyone and are a great way to learn more about someone without being too personal.
- Is there anything you are looking forward to in the future?
- Are you working on a five-year plan?
- Would you like your parents and your future family to live together?
- Would you like to move to a new city in the future?
- Are you planning to move houses in the near future?
- Are you planning to give back to society in the near future?
- How do you feel about open relationships?
- Is the future a better place for humanity?
- Are you planning to have children?
- What kind of parent are you going to be?
- Which part of your future concerns you the most?
- Are you a believer in destiny?
- What excites you most about the future?
- Is it possible that your definition of love will change?
- Do you create a month-long planner or do you make daily to-do lists?
- What is your attitude toward monogamy?
- Is it important to you that your future partner has the same political affiliation as you do?
- Are you interested in having children? How many will you have?
- Are you anxious and concerned about the future?
First Date Questions about Sexuality
Whether you’re meeting someone online or going on a blind date, you’ll likely have questions about sex. It’s normal to wonder if your partner has had previous sexual experiences, whether they’re interested in having sex, and whether they’re willing to engage in certain activities.
It’s important to remember that these topics aren’t taboo, and you shouldn’t feel uncomfortable asking about them. In fact, most people enjoy talking about sex, so you might actually learn a thing or two from your conversation.
Here’s a little secret: If your date starts talking about this after a while, take that as a sign that they enjoyed their time with you.
Here are some questions that you could ask during your first date:
- What is your experience with making out in public?
- What is your darkest sexual fantasy?
- Which sexual activity never fails to excite you?
- When did you lose your virginity for the first time?
- When it comes to bed, what is your biggest turn-off?
- Does casual sex appeal to you?
- Is there anything you would never do in bed?
- Describe what sex means to you.
- What are some embarrassing stories you have?
- What is your favorite type of man in the bedroom?
- What was your first kiss like?
- Are there any bedtime essentials you cannot live without?
- Are you interested in a one-night stand?
- Do you have a favorite sex scene?
- When were you first kissed?
- When you are in bed, what would you like your partner to always do?
- What would you say about your sexual orientation?
- Would you rather have sex or make love?
- Would you prefer a virgin or an experienced partner?